The big cities can be difficult to navigate, even for those that have been living in the area for quite some time. It’s often why these large cities are referred to as an “urban jungle” – it’s wild!
Could you imagine what it would be like if you were plunked into NYC before there were services like Uber, Airbnb, a good parking app, using hostels, GPS, and others?
It would have been a nightmare! And, in some ways, it still can be for those that aren’t aware of their options when it comes to the unique business ideas that have helped overcome the mayhem that is navigating your way around these urban jungles.
The following are some of the apps and services you may find helpful if you find yourself wandering the streets of metropolitan areas (and beyond):
· Maps/GPS – Maps are built-in to our phones (Google Maps, Apple Maps, etc) but there are others that are worthwhile including Waze and or Here Maps. These handy tools go without saying; they’ll get you to your destination promptly and help with avoiding traffic.
· Ride Sharing – Taxi? No thank you! Ride sharing apps are the way to go if you wish to spend less on your transit and have greater control on your destinations. Major apps include Uber, Lyft, Gett, Juno, and Curb. Each of these are a world of difference compare to dealing with the usual taxi and public transport services.
· Finding Bathrooms – Many large cities don’t readily have public bathrooms and it can be quite pricey to use a bathroom in certain areas since you’d need to be a customer. Bathroom location apps including Sit or Squat, Toilet Finder, or Bathroom Scout can be a lifesaver for those that aren’t used to the areas.
· Parking apps – Right up there with not being able to find a toilet is finding a proper place to park. The big cities have very odd rules for those coming from the outside – you could see yourself facing some hefty parking tickets if you’re not careful. Parking apps will keep you up-to-date with areas, garages, and timing for your vehicle.
· Hostels – Hotel costs can soar through the roof but if you’re willing to share a dorm or go a little outside the box with your sleeping arrangement, then you’d want to consider hostel websites. You can often save almost half the costs of a stay when choosing a hostel. The best part? You get to meet other travelers and swap stories! Hostel World and Hostels.com come to mind.
· Public Transit Apps – Many major cities now offer apps for their public transportation such as buses and subway lines. All you’d need to do is take a quick look at the city + transit to see if there is an app within the app store. These apps share information on the time schedules, routes, and any delays. A major help for navigating the big city.
It’s neat how technology is helping us navigate our world, whether it’s something as simple as finding a place to go to the bathroom or inexpensive travel through urban transporters. We’ll continue to see businesses and entrepreneurs find a niche that needs to be filled.
There are many opportunities in these areas – just think of any questions and frustrations you may have experienced when traveling in the big city. If there’s a need… there’s opportunity for business.